https://nationalactionnetworkla.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/GettyImages-5574754451-570031633df78c7d9e5d2b90.jpg 350 500 https://nationalactionnetworkla.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/NAN-National-Logo.png 2020-04-28 18:59:532020-05-05 00:04:08Pregnant women and single mothers resources during the COVID-19 pandemic
Pregnant women and single mothers may be experiencing particular food insecurity and hardship during the COVID-19 pandemic. In LA County, there are several programs and services that help families who have been affected by recent events:
- Home Visiting Programs are still enrolling new clients and serving families in LA County. Home Visitors provide support and services during pregnancy; coaches parents on how to support children during difficult times; offers techniques for lowering stress; and connects parents to educational training, job opportunities, and other resources. For more information, call (213) 639-6434.
- MAMA’s Program is providing services to pregnant women and those who have recently delivered during the COVID-19 crisis. Pregnant women in the safety net who need prenatal and immediate postpartum services can call 844-37-MAMAS for appointments and enhanced perinatal services.
- Doula services provide emotional support, physical comfort, education, and advocacy to African American pregnant women and persons during pregnancy, childbirth, and the newborn period. Call (213) 639-6448 for more information and eligibility requirements.
- Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Program provides healthy foods and other resources to pregnant women and families whose income has been affected by recent events with a child under 5 years of age. To find out if you’re eligible, text APPLY to 91997, visit phfewic.org or call (888) 942-2229.
- Cash aid and food purchasing services are available through CalWORKS. This program provides monthly financial assistance to help pay for housing, food, utilities, clothing, medical care and other necessary expenses. For more information and eligibility requirements, call (866) 613-3777.
- Early childhood education and childcare services are available for essential workers. Call (888) 92CHILD (922-4453) or visit lacoe.edu/childcare for more information and resources.
- Emotional support services are available for pregnant and parenting families feeling anxious, panicked, or stressed. Mental health professionals are available at (800) 854-7771.